Such a bittersweet time of summer for all the mamas and papas of school-age kids out there. It's gone by so fast in some ways and in others, we cannot wait to get back into the rhythm of school. We totally get it. In an effort to make the next couple weeks move in the right direction with the least amount of stress, we've put together a few ways to get yourself and your kids ready to roll come that first day of school.
1. Get online and find the supply list.... today!
Most schools now post these on school websites, school Facebook pages/groups, etc.
And in Tennessee, this upcoming weekend, July 28-30 is tax-free weekend! While on the school website, check for meet-the-teacher dates and orientations too!
2. Pull backpacks, lunch boxes, water bottles, and lunch box containers out now to assess their status. Lots of these items are already on sale during the "back to school" season and can be great to purchase on tax-free weekend if needed.
3. Spend 15-20 minutes with your child in their room and take a quick assessment of clothes for the early fall and shoes. So often our kids are in sandals or barefoot all summer and we don't realize they've outgrown all their close-toed shoes, which many schools require kids to wear.
4. If you haven't already, be sure your kids immunizations are up to date. Most pediatricians and family physicians know what is required for each school in your area. If you're not sure, you can always call the school to confirm.
5. Take your kiddo(s) on a "date" sometime between now and the first day of school. Try to be intentional with them and give them the opportunity to talk about what they're looking forward to in the upcoming year and what they may be anxious about. This 1-2 hours could mean the world to them as you prepare as a family for what lies ahead.
It's not rocket science to get our kids ready to get back in the classroom but it is good to have a few reminders, especially for us who have older school-age kids and might be slippin' a bit (like me :).
Hope this list helps you and if you have any tips to share, we'd love to hear them and so would our readers! Comment below...