Whether you have a green thumb or prefer to spend your time inside, we are here to share ways for all kinds of folks to celebrate Earth Day on April 22nd!
Reduce Plastic - Plastic has become part of our everyday lives. Although it may seem impossible to go completely without plastic, there are a few simple switches you can make to help decrease plastic pollution.
1. Carry a reusable bottle
2. Bring your own shopping totes
3. Say no to plastic straws. Instead invest in stainless steel ones here
4. If it can be bought in glass, chose the glass bottle over plastic
5. Avoid excessive food packaging. Buy items in bulk and/or bring your own veggie/fruit bags
Plant or Donate a Tree - Tree's filter the air and help stave off the effects of climate change. In just one year, a mature leafy tree produces as much oxygen as 10 people inhale. (www.earthday.org). Planting native trees to your area is a great way to celebrate Earth Day! If you do not have the space, donate a tree to your local school, church, or community garden!
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - Incorporating the three R's into your lifestyle is a great way to help cut down on waste, keep items out of our landfills, and restore energy! It is best to reduce & reuse when possible! A great way to avoid items that can not be recycled, i.e. coffee cups, is to bring your own! Need some ideas for reusing?
- Once you have emptied your milk-jug, turn it into a craft project or a water jug for your indoor plants!
- Remove labels from glass jars and use them as flower vases.
- Make a bottle tree out in the yard
- Check out this recycled material craft list
Did you know that not all cardboard and plastic can be recycled? It can be confusing trying to make sense of all of the rules of recycling. To find out more information about recycling in Knoxville, check out this website.
Get Involved in your Community - Chances are, your community is holding events throughout the year to help keep it beautiful! Need some ideas for how to take action? Get involved in a community garden, stay up to date on neighborhood clean-up events, or simply buy local!
Create your own act of Green! - What will your personal act of Green on Earth Day 2018 be!? Will you...
- Reduce plastic consumption?
- Plant a tree?
- Change your paper bills to online billing?
- Reduce your carbon footprint by carpooling, taking the bus or riding your bike?
- Choose natural/non-toxic cleaning products?
- Pack you lunch in a reusable bag?
- Turn off the lighting when you leave a room?
- Choose the stairs over the elevator?
We would love to hear how you plan on celebrating Earth Day!