Empty it out.
- Discard all expired items (don't be embarrassed of what "vintage" items you may find!)
- Sort items into categories of similar items
- Throw away partially used open boxes of food
Sort into categories that work for you.
- Group by meal (breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, desserts)
- Group by type (grains, canned veggies, snacks, etc.)
Contain it all.
- Baskets, bins or containers
- Clear jars add visibility to how much of each item you have on hand (and are typically much prettier than the package the items came in
- Various sizes to fit each shelf space or specific item
- Personal preference: clear, all uniform containers, mix of different styles
- Use vertical space by incorporating stackable/multi-level storage (Two Tier Lazy Susan)
- Wire baskets allow fruit/veggies to aerate (Decorative Wire Basket)
Here are a few ideas for containers:
- White Nordic Storage Baskets with Handles - The Container Store
- Y Weave Storage Bins - Target
- OXO Steel Pop Stainless Steel Food Storage Container Set - Bed, Bath & Beyond
- Multi-Purpose Bins - The Container Store
Put it back in an intentionally neat way.
- Items you use together- store near each other
- Items that you want your little ones to access- store on lower shelves
- Items you rarely use- store up high
- Items you use very regularly- store right at your eye sight level
Enjoy a little gallery of some pretty pantries we've organized!
Tips to keep order in your pantry.
-Designate a place for a grocery list visible to everyone, so when an item runs out - you put it on the list right then!
- Storing items with potential to spill in solid bottom containers will make clean up easier, in case of a mess.
- Invest in labels (or create your own) for your pantry containers, to make sure everything stays in it's place.
- Give your pantry a deep refresh each season (or monthly if you're able) by purging and rearranging according to what the current season requires.
- Once a quarter, wipe clean each container to remove the crumbs or sticky handprints that have accumulated.
Are you overwhelmed by the current chaos in your pantry?
We'd love to help. Give us a call today to schedule your free 30 minute in-home consultation.